Clear all

Day Two: Thursday, February 17, 2005

Bex
 Bex
Admin
Topic starter
(@betterplanbex)
Facilitator

In this part of the forum, you will have a space to post and discuss any thoughts, predictions, reflections, etc. about the part of the book that occurs on Day Two of the book. 

Topic Tags
1 Reply
Bex
 Bex
Admin
Topic starter
(@betterplanbex)
Facilitator

I don't believe there was an updated list of suspects, so I am going to refer back to the original list. 

"A short list of suspect individuals:  Ivan Santos, the janitor who found the body.Edouard Arnaud, the victim’s ex-boyfriend.The parents—Joe and Missy Hayes.Howard Morrie, the homeless guy squatting in the park behind the library.Cameron Whitley, the stalker boy from down the street."

Again, looking at this list, here are some of my thoughts:

Ivan Santos- I still don't see why he would do it. I cannot fathom any sort of motive for doing so any way. 

Zap- I feel like we still don't know enough about him to know. Right now we know more about his interesting relationship with Jade than we know about his relationship with Lucinda.

Joe and Missy Hayes- Again, we don't know enough about them to make any sort of decision on if it was one of them. The only thiliught I have right now was that they noticed her sneaking out, followed her and confronted her, but that doesn't make sense for how things went down.

Howard Morrie- Again I see no motive here. However, she does have Lucinda's book, so that is interesting to note, and I'm curious as to how he became in pocession of it.

Cameron Whitley- Of this list, it does seem he is the most likely at this time, but despite his strangeness I don't think he did it. If it was Cameron, I still believe that it was an accident that he would not have intentionally hurt her. 

Beyond the list of suspects, I wanted to discuss a few things that are mentioned in this section as well as one thing that was not yet mentioned.

I'm not sure yet what to make of the one real interaction Cameron has had with Lucinda, I think it's very strange that she would have been in his house. I wonder if this is to show that they were similar in their strangeness and curiosity. But I'm not quite sure what to make of it. 

I'm also not sure what to make of Jade's interaction with Howard. First, he sexually assaulted her but she still interacts with him and brings him food. Second, I'm curious about the lies, is this the life she wishes she has? I'm just curious about why she felt compelled to lie in the first place and why she continues to add to the lies.

So I guess when I read the back cover and it said 

no one in her sleepy Colorado suburb is untouched—not the boy who loved her too much; not the girl who wanted her perfect life; not the officer assigned to investigate her murder.

I guess I read this wrong, because I thought he would end up being a potential suspect, but it doesn't seem that way, at least not yet. 

I am still really enjoying this book, I feel like there is a lot still in answered which makes me want to keep reading to have my questions answered.

Share: